Hidden Figures: A true story

FOX

Nominated for 30 Oscars, "Hidden Figures" is a must-see film.

Trixie Valdezco, News Editor

History has an annoying habit of leaving out the stories and contributions of women and minorities who helped change society. “Hidden Figures” does justice to some of these individuals by bringing light to the inspiring true story of three brilliant African-American women who worked at NASA’s Langley Research Center during segregation. Directed by Theodore Melfi and based on its namesake novel by Margot Lee Shetterly, this film has already received 2 Golden Globe and 3 Oscar nominations.
Portraying mathematics prodigy Katherine G. Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), informal supervisor Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer), and aspiring engineer Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe), “Hidden Figures” looks at the lives of these three influential women as they struggled to fight sexual and racial discrimination and to establish themselves to be just as capable, if not more so, as their white male counterparts.
Combined with superb writing, directing, acting, as well as Pharrell’s original soundtrack, this film captures not only these women’s triumphs, but also the humiliation and degradation they faced. This can be depicted in the heart-breaking scene where Katherine, the only African-American woman in an all-white group of male engineers, is forced to run (in high heels) half a mile every time she wishes to use the “colored” restroom.
One day, after returning from one of her long bathroom trips soaked in rain, Katherine is berated by her boss, who criticizes her for disappearing from her desk a few times a day. Fed up with being treated like a second-class citizen, she delivers a powerful and emotional speech about the hard work she has put in spite of the injustices she has had to endure, leaving the male characters speechless and the audience on the brink of tears.
This film not only serves to uncover a buried past in history and highlight the resilience and brilliance of these women, but also to empower anyone to pursue their dreams, even if it means breaking a few barriers. “Hidden Figures” is a must see for all ages and is undoubtedly one of the best films of the year.