Most anticipated albums of 2017

Julie Lee, Entertainment Editor

2016 was a pretty successful year in the music world. The hype was real when albums such as Drake’s Views, Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo, and Beyonce’s Lemonade dropped. Apart from these well-known artists, many other artists have been stepping their game up. In case you haven’t caught onto the hints at exciting collaborations and new music, we’ll be covering all the information you need to know about the most anticipated albums of 2017.

1. Kanye West x Drake
Yes, two of the most successful rappers may be working together this year. You may have heard many rumors of this upcoming project. Who knows if they’re true, but here are the hints. At Drake’s OVO Fest in August of 2016, Kanye dropped a major hint, asking the crowd, “Are you ready for this album?” while standing next to Drake himself. If this isn’t enough to convince you, a few days later,Los Angeles motorists confused when passing a billboard that had both logos of G.O.O.D. Music (Kanye’s record label) and OVO Sound (Drake’s record label), next to the phrase, “Calabasas is the new Abu Dhabi.” Although there’s not much that has been said, this potential album may be too good to be true. In fact, Drake has been working hard on his next solo album “More Life.” All we can do is wait.

2. Childish Gambino x Chance the Rapper
Both Gambino and Chance have been very busy throughout the year of 2016. Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) directed and starred in his own T.V. show “Atlanta,” performed at festivals and shows, and even released his R&B soul album “Awaken, My Love!” Chance also dropped his third mixtape “Coloring Book.” He went on a world tour, and collaborated with many other artists including Jeremih, Big Sean, John Legend, and even Francis and the Lights. However, Chance posted an Instagram photo with Gambino on Jan 2. The caption read, “Hawaii then LA, back to work. #roscoeswetsuit.” The hashtag “Roscoe’s wetsuit” comes from Gambino’s 2013 album “Because the Internet” screenplay, which Chance starred in. Many fans have been going crazy since the post, but for now, let’s listen to their last collaboration song, “The Worst Guys,” on repeat.

3. Lorde
Can you believe it’s been 4 years since we’ve heard from Lorde? Her success at age 17 shocked many with her debut album, “Pure Heroine”. On her 20th birthday, she announced on her Facebook page that her next upcoming album will include underlying themes of adolescence and adulthood -. Concluding her post with, “I am about to show you the new world,” seemed like we’re getting an Aladdin 2.0. We all remember her hit singles “Tennis Court” and of course, “Royals.” However, it seems as if she’s exploring a different genre of music. Regardless, her comeback is something to be excited about for the new year.

4. Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift is notorious for writing songs about her long line of exes. The Tennessee native, who started out crooning country tunes made a bold step when moving into the pop genre with the album, “1989.” The album sold 1.287 million copies within a week of its release in 2014 and won album of the year at last year’s Grammys. Now, Taylor is changing her tune once again and is suggesting that she may feature R&B and hip hop in her next album.. Yes, you read that correctly. “Taylor is always looking at ways to grow as an artist and really wants to try something different and unexpected for the next album. She’s not afraid of experimenting so she is working with a lot of different faces to see if she suits a new sound,” a source revealed, according to UK newspaper The Sun. The singer has been gearing towards this genre of music with bangers like “Blank Space” from her last album. Surprisingly, the busy woman has not had a break in over a decade, and she is currently on a year break. I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty excited for what’s to come.