Politically charged clothing to voice your opinion

Julie Lee, Entertainment Editor

Many dreaded watching the Obama family pack their bags and move out of the White House. What better way is there to remember Obama’s presidency than to wear his face on your clothes? This season, fashion designers aren’t only focused on incorporating the newest trends, but also sporting gear that features former President Barack Obama and other key individuals in politics.
Popular clothing brand Supreme, for example, has hopped on the Obama train for their Spring/Summer 2017 collection. Originally a skate shop in New York City, Supreme has become one of the most popular brands among today’s youth. Supreme is known for being the epitome of online reselling and pays respect to various aspects of art, politics, and culture. This season, designers settled to pay tribute to Barack Obama, as well as leading Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata. Although many may think all the brand does is slap their logo onto t-shirts, many of their pieces are designed with political messages in mind. If you’ve been following Supreme for a while, it’s become pretty obvious that the brand has opposed Donald Trump’s presidential campaign when they endorsed Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton this past November.
The Spring/Summer 2017 Supreme drop features an Obama jacket and bottom combo, as well as tees and pins adorned with the simple phrase “F*ck the president”, referring not to Obama, of course, but to current President Donald Trump. Apart from the evident disapproval of Trump, Supreme also dropped a quilted jacket featuring Mexican Revolution leader Emiliano Zapata, who was all for expelling corruption. With both of these tributes, the brand seems to be using politics and history to show its values. In fact, online magazine Highsnobiety’s editorial team member Kam Dhillon stated, “Given the fact that there’s a not-so-subtle nod to former President Obama elsewhere in the SS17 drop, this quilted jacket emblazoned with a portrait of Zapata, a leading figure in the Mexican Revolution, makes a lot of sense. I’m sure there’ll be another protest on the horizon to wear this to.”
Wearing your appreciation for Obama on your sleeve has gotten even easier with designer Joe Fresh Good’s “Thank You Obama” clothing line, which pays tribute to President Obama himself, former First Lady Michelle Obama, and their children. The clothing line features a No. 44 basketball jersey with Obama’s name, a long sleeve shirt with Mr. and Mrs. Obama’s wedding date, and even a “Malia” t-shirt that uses the crimson color of Harvard University, where she is set to attend this upcoming fall. On his website, Joe wrote, “The night Obama won his first term gave me so much hope, especially and most importantly as a black man. I decided to make a collection saying ‘thank you’ and give me something to smile at every now and then when I look in the closet.” The clothing designer was able to get a hold of Chance the Rapper to partner with him and model the collection. Joe posted one of Chance’s photos on Instagram with the caption, “I wanted to create a project to show love for a family that inspired me and it’s my job to report current times with my art (clothes)… Special thanks to my good friend @chancetherapper for jumping on board with this idea.”
By releasing clothes that were created as political messages, designers are using their brands as a platform to spread awareness to their young adult consumers who may otherwise not be interested in politics.