Shrek the Musical Review

Senior Charlene Herrella, who plays Princess Fiona, sings and dances on the stage.

Mekhi Marcelino

Mekhi Marcelino

Trixie Valdezco, News Editor

Uni High finishes off the school year with a bang wit its musical production of “Shrek the Musical,” directed by Ronnie Sperling. The production follows the story of Shrek, senior Billy Ortiz, as he embarks on an adventure to rescue a mysterious princess from a high tower guarded by a fire-breathing dragon. Forced to take on this quest by Lord Farquaad, junior Allen Tehrani, Shrek begins to shed his thick “onion” layers by opening up to his new friend, Donkey, senior Jalon Moore, and soon-to-be love interest, Princess Fiona, senior Charlene Herrella. f
Besides focusing on Shrek’s adventure, the play elaborates on both Shrek and Fiona’s past. The story reveals how they were both abandoned by their parents when they were 7 years old and were forced to battle isolation throughout their lives. From the clever use of flashbacks and rotating actors, the play portrays the heart-breaking scenes of a young, innocent Shrek being feared and reviled and a young Fiona spending years and years hoping for her true love to rescue her from her solitary perch.
Senior Erin Washington does well in portraying an adorable young Shrek looking nervous and scared as his parents tell him to live in solitude and to appear frightening in order to protect himself from the harsh, brutal world.
The play goes on to highlight the importance of inner beauty over outer beauty, as well as learning to love and accept oneself. Furthermore, the audience learns that love comes in all shapes and sizes, as demonstrated not only by Shrek and Fiona, but the supporting characters as well.
Both the actors’ and stage crew’s stellar performance, combining both talents to create a truly unique performance. From the start, Ortiz fully immerses himself into the Shrek character, bellowing and stomping and earning himself a well-deserved round of applause from the audience. He does well in portraying Shrek’s transition from a gruff, unpleasant character to a brave hero capable of loving others.
In terms of singing, Herrella and Jasmine Mentzer, portraying sultry Dragon, exceed the audience’s expectations, earning themselves a riot of cheers from the crowd. Their projected voices are clear and melodic, effortlessly staying on pitch and wowing the crowd with every number. They capture the essence of the characters as best as they can and channel that spirit through their performance.
Donkey, who Moore brought to life by paying homage to Eddie Murphy’s original performance and by using his own charm, is a constant crowd pleaser He earns continual laughter, whether it be by rolling around stage or donning hot pink sunglasses as he comments on Shrek and Fiona’s budding relationship.
And last but certainly not least, the stage crew of the drama department adds to the overall charm of the production. The bright, popping colors mark the set and costumes of the actors, as well as well-coordinated lighting and number cues. The crew and cast’s 4 months of hard work is evident, making “Shrek the Musical” a delight to experience.