Shrek the Musical: Behind the Curtains

Senior Charlene Herrella, who plays Princess Fiona, and Billy Ortiz, Shrek,
meet for the first time when he rescues her from the high tower castle.

Senior Charlene Herrella, who plays Princess Fiona, and Billy Ortiz, Shrek, meet for the first time when he rescues her from the high tower castle.

Mekhi Marcelino

Mekhi Marcelino

Jasmine Mentzer, Staff Writer

Every semester, a special few take on the challenge of their lives: Ronnie Sperling…’s amazing shows! For the 2016-2017 spring semester, one team assembles to bring joy into the hearts of the masses with Shrek: The Musical. A lot of the cast are alum from the fall show The Fantasticks but a few brave newcomers took on the huge task that is a Uni High show.
So what exactly goes into bringing such a beloved classic to life? Freshman Akira Shelton who will be playing Gingy and the ugly duckling says,
“It’s a lot of hard work. Of course we have fun times but when it’s time to get to work, it can be challenging sometimes.”
One thing that always makes things better is the cast’s relationship. Fiona, also known as senior Charlene Herrella gushes about her experience with the cast,
“I appreciate every moment even though we have good days and bad days because I know we share the same Shrek spirit. We are like an onion. We have many layers and depending on the day, we different layers surface. I am just so thankful I get to experience every layer of rehearsal with the cast.”
Of course, things can get a little hectic sometimes but having a strong cast and a great group of friends makes everything worth it. Personally, I have made some of the most amazing friends ever!
Some of the Stivelman theatre alumni offered insight into some of the unique challenges of the process. Senior Jalon Moore, returning to the stage as Shrek’s hilarious animal sidekick Donkey believes one of the hardest parts is “staying patient.” Sometimes it’s easier said than done but that is just one of the sacrifices you make to do the thing you love.
By now, the show is already over and everything hopefully went of without a hitch. We will say goodbye to our beloved seniors and wish for the best as they move on to other journeys but the rest of us will be left behind to carry out the Uni High tradition of theatrical excellence.