Smurfs: Hit or miss?

Follow along as Smurfette leads The
Smurfs on a whole new adventure, this time
involving some unexpected guests.

Follow along as Smurfette leads The Smurfs on a whole new adventure, this time involving some unexpected guests.

Sony Pictures Animation

Sony Pictures Animation

Alyssa Kauthen, Staff Writer

Unless you are a young child, a parent of a young child, or simply just a Smurfaholic, “Smurfs: The Lost Village” is not on the must see list. With its all new cast of voice actors, its very predictable plot, and the vaguely interesting ‘danger’ scenes, this movie is really only average.
Much like many other recent films, the director decides to give a girl power twist to the franchise. With new characters such as SmurfWillow (Julia Roberts), SmurfLily (Ariel Winter), and SmurfStorm (Michelle Rodriguez), this movie was sure to be a hit with the younger generation. After all, what little girl doesn’t enjoy a movie that shows off our female strengths, even if it is just in animated form? However, they may actually be the only audience this film would entertain, even with it’s female empowering plotline.
In the movie, Smurfette starts to wonder whether or not she is a ‘real’ Smurf, seeing as she was created by Gargamel. She starts to try and figure out what she is meant to do, much like the other Smurfs who have their destined jobs in their names. This then leads to her realization that there must be another Smurf village in the forest, causing Gargamel to somehow find out — like he always does — and decide that she needs to go find them.
Throughout the Smurfs’ adventure, the audience is presented with the ever so popular ‘conflict,’ where the Smurfs find themselves in a life threatening disaster while the others have to try to figure out how to save them. However, this time it just seemed way overdone. It was the same plot as many of its predecessors. The ‘conflict’ was merely Gargamel trying to kidnap some Smurfs again, but this time it happened to be the mysteriously never before mentioned, female Smurfs.
Overall this movie really isn’t worth your money. Stay home, buy some cheap snacks from the store, and watch Netflix. It really would be a better use of your time and budget.
Rating: 3/5