Wildcats strut down the catwalk

Robin Kopf, Staff Writer

Upbeat music pumped through Stivelman Theatre and the spotlights shined as Uni students strutted their stuff in dazzling evening wear at the First Annual Senior Prom Fashion Show.

The Class of 2015 partnered with David’s Bridal and Men’s Wearhouse to put on the show yesterday to pump up the spirit for prom.

A representative from David’s Bridal contacted senior class President Sarah Contreras about sponsoring Uni, benefitting both their business and the school. The show was put together in two weeks by the Class of 2015 board, notably seniors Hellen Morales, Montserrat Castellanos, Tiarha Huerta, Reinaldo Perez and the stage production crew.

“Organizing the show was stressful because of the short notice,” Castellanos said. “But despite that it’s been really fun to work with the models and plan the event.”

The models were all Uni students that signed up to model for the show. The five male models, seniors Rashley Castillo, Jesus Lopez, Juwan Ephrim, Jesse Amador and Edwin Amaya modeled tuxedos from Men’s Wearhouse.

“At first I was nervous to go out, but something quickly changed and I came out with confidence and attitude. I decided to just have fun with it,” Castillo said. “The suits from Men’s Wearhouse were great and I’m considering getting my suit from them.”

The five female models, seniors Abigail Guzman, Nicole Wong-Franklin, Monica Lopez, Rosa Martinez and Morales showcased prom dresses from David’s Bridal.

“I think it was so much fun and it made my little fantasy of feeling like a model come true,” Guzman said.

The models had to practice how, when and with whom to walk. The men also had to go to Men’s Wearhouse and have their measurements taken so that they could receive a tux. The female models went to David’s Bridal and picked out one or two dresses to showcase. The companies loaned the tuxedos and dresses to the models.

“[The show] was AMAZING,” Morales said. “I’m glad we got to share this experience with the senior class. I know everyone who participated can say the same.”

All of the dresses and tuxedos presented at the fashion show are available for purchase or rental at David’s Bridal and Men’s Wearhouse. When a male Uni student brings five friends with him to Men’s Wearhouse to get a tux, the first gets a free tuxedo and the rest get $40 off. Women looking for a dress at David’s Bridal can get $20 off on select styles.