Prime Time unites student athletes

Senior Chris Gonzalez wins a medal for his participation in Primetime basketball.

Photo courtesy of Sarah White.

Kierra Wiggins, Sports Editor

Team Prime Time is a nonprofit organization that offers after school athletic programs for at risk students in low income neighborhoods in LA. Created by Peter Straus, Prime Time works with LAUSD to give students with special abilities the opportunity to participate in sports.

Head coach and teacher Sarah White serves as the main coach over basketball, soccer and flag football. Many students in high school play a sport but some students with disabilities may not be able to compete against students without disability, which is why Primetime is so important. “Prime Time promotes students working together,” White said, by allowing students to get help from one another. Athlete Enrique Hernandez reflects on his experience with Prime Time. “I feel very happy I joined Prime Time because I get to play while my friends hang out. I love playing soccer, football and basketball.”

According to White, coaching students with special abilities requires patience, dedication, and commitment but it’s worth it once you are able to create a bond that can make a difference in their lives. “What we’ve taken away from Prime Time is that it’s not always about winning. It’s about fighting for the right for inclusion for students with disabilities in sports,” says Coach Emili Gonzales.

As for next year,Prime Time might be in trouble. Most coaches and participants are seniors. “We need more members to join as coaches, we’ll be gone next year,” Coach Gonzales said. More students should join or consider joining because Primetime allows for the participants to not be confined to their abilities. “I didn’t play sports until I joined Prime Time. I did make close relationships with all the coaches because they are all nice,” Hernandez said.

Every student at Uni deserves the same treatment and opportunity to participate in sports.  It is up to the Uni students to continue the fight for equality so every student can have the opportunity to pursue their passion. Uni’s Prime Time program holds practice every Monday after school and is combined with UCLA. In order to coach, participate or compete you must be signed up with UCLA’s afterschool program.