John Wick: Chapter 2 Review

The film follows John Wick(Keanu Reeves) as he seeks to live the rest of his life in peace, but all that is ruined when an old colleague comes knocking on his door in order to make due on a blood debt.

Lionsgate & Thunder Road Pictures

Lionsgate & Thunder Road Pictures

Justin Reece, Staff Writer

When the first “John Wick” film released back in 2014, it flew under everyone’s radar, mainly due to subpar marketing and a fairly irrational premise: “a man goes on a murder spree because his dog was killed.” It turned me off from anything related to the film. But after the reviews came flooding in and everyone said it was good, I decided to see it for myself. Three years later, the film has become my all-time-favorite film..
“John Wick:Chapter 2” is directed by Chad Stahelski, and produced by Lionsgate and Thunder Road Pictures. The film starts almost immediately after the events of the prior film. John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is seeking the location of his car, which was stolen by Iosef Tarasov (Alfie Allen) and is now property of Abram Tarasov (Peter Stormare). After reclaiming the car, Wick returns home to his dog and tries to begin living his life in peace. All is ruined when Santino D’Antonio (Riccardo Scamarcio), a colleague from Wick’s past, comes knocking on his door in order to make due on a blood debt. Wick refuses and in return gets his house blown up. Then after reflection and counsel from his colleague Winston (Ian McShane), Wick sees that this is the only way to achieve peace and agrees to honor the debt. From there, the rest of the plot unfolds.
While the film is meant to be an action spectacle, it has some pretty solid performances too. Reeves delivers a reserved but intense performance; you can feel his subdued rage you can definitely see it when it’s time to get dirty. Scamarcio’s performance as D’Antonio is very reminiscent of Joaquin Phoenix in “Gladiator.” He’s a sniveling little punk who thinks he’s untouchable and gets immensely annoying at times. The amount of bodies and bloodshed in the film is unbelievably high. The signature “gun-fu” and wrestling style that Wick utilizes are still very present, but there are also some very creative ways that Wick takes people down (two of which involve a pencil). The only problem lies with the set-pieces. There is never a set-piece that manages to match or top the “nightclub” from the first film. The nightclub is possibly one of the greatest action scenes in cinema history. It perfectly displays Wick’s skills as he swiftly and viciously takes down guys left and right while he chases after Tarasov.

If you’re a fan of action films or even of Keanu Reeves, you owe it to yourself to see “John Wick:Chapter 2”.
Rating:9/10