Boys tennis stumbles into their season

Junior Singles/doubles player Chris Park demonstrated his backhand in a home match against Westchester on Feb. 28.

Sarah Short

Sarah Short

Esther Han, Staff Writer

The boys tennis team had a disappointing start after losing the first two preseason matches, and it is not getting any better with an overall score of (3-5) and league score of (3-3).

Coach Stanford Poon did not show up until half of the match against Westchester because he did not expect the Westchester’s team (overall 3-2, league 2-0) to arrive early to Uni High than the scheduled time.

“I wasn’t really late, [just had a little miscommunication] with other schools. We are progressing as far as mental toughness, confidence, and team unity. The challenging thing is to get them to play more even on weekends. I feel like everyone on the team is performing to the best of their ability,” Poon said.

To make matters worse, some varsity players didn’t show up because they weren’t able to get out of class without the teacher’s permission. The team improvised by adding the best J.V. players available. It turned to be very disorganized, but they were close in victory with a score of 3-4.

“The game against Westchester should have been an easy game to win, yet we lost. We were missing 6 or 7 out of the 10 varsity players we needed,” singles/doubles junior Chris Park said.

Poon ranks each player based on how well they hit during regular practices and not by matches.

“We play by our “ranks” that Stan gives for each of us and just [play] a fake match with the closer rank players,” doubles sophomore Raymen Kirolos said.

In an intense battle against Venice, the boys repeatedly hit the ball into the corners of the court in order to make it difficult for the opponent team to

return the ball. This

strategy worked out beyond expectations with

a close victory of 4-3.

“I won with the support from my team, I was confident [enough] to win even though I was sick,” singles III senior Matthew Chen

said.

The boys tennis team did

start their season poorly;

however, they will continue to approach each game with

confidence and a positive

attitude.