Softball steps up to the plate

Freshman pitcher Juliana Jimenez pitches to home base. The Uni Softball lost against Hamilton high school with a score of 4-12.

Annie Chavez-Majano

Annie Chavez-Majano

Zerrick Payne, Staff Writer

The Uni softball team is continuing into the second half of the season with an overall score of 5-8 and league score of 3-6 as of Wednesday, April 26.

This year’s team has a new plan of action, an influx of promising players, and a strong team chemistry. The girls are also confident that they will be the best Uni softball team in recent memory.

“By our second game this season, we had already won more games than last season. We have more confidence,” senior shortstop Yisel Salazar said.

This season, daily practice is mandatory for all the girls, including during the weekends and school breaks.  They are currently focusing on strengthening their defense and fundraising to replace the broken equipment left by their predecessors.

“Unfortunately, we were unable to pull through [the April 6] game against Fairfax, whom we had [beaten] before,” said senior outfielder Alyssa Suzukawa. “I commend the determination the team displayed on the field. We had underestimated our foe and played a tough game of error after error.”

However, senior outfielder Carolina Castro is not deterred by the team’s losses. Castro cites the team’s preseason victory in the games against LA High and their regular season game against LACES as examples of their newfound drive to succeed.

“We’ve been working hard during practice…last year we lacked the ability to set goals…but now we are all driven to potentially fight for the Division 4 Championship,” Castro said.

The Uni softball team is excited for playoffs and hopes to become Division 4 champions. They will continue to approach every future game with confidence and positive attitudes. Support the Wildcats today at their away game against Westchester!