Logan: A Review

“Logan” is a very personal and violent
film that centers around the famous
“Wolverine” in his later years.

“Logan” is a very personal and violent film that centers around the famous “Wolverine” in his later years.

20th Century Fox

20th Century Fox

Justin Reece, Staff Writer

“Logan” is written and directed by James Mangold, and is produced by Marvel Entertainment and TSG Entertainment. The film stars Hugh Jackman, Sir Patrick Stewart, Boyd Holbrook and Dafne Keene.

“Logan” centers around the titular character, played by Hugh Jackman, as he tries to take care of both himself and the dying Charles Xavier. Logan offers a great look at what a hero’s life looks like after his golden years — all the physical duress and emotional turmoil has finally caught up with him, and he’s no longer able to function as effectively as he used to. He’s taken a job as a full time limo driver in order to make ends meet for him and Xavier. In addition,he’s saving up to eventually get a boat where he and Xavier can spend the rest of their days. While on the job he is confronted by a woman who seeks his help as “The Wolverine”, and he is then faced with a decision that will ultimately change the course of the rest of his and Xavier’s days.

With it being the last time that both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart will portray Wolverine and Professor X, this film was very emotional. Jackman gives a very intense performance; he manages to convey the broken down hero with a sense of realism as he struggles to keep it together doing some of the most basic things. Stewart gives a very raw, emotional and Oscar-worthy performance as this rather naive and hopeful Charles Xavier. Newcomer Dafne Keene shines as Laura. It’s somewhat a comedic and heartwarming role as she discovers the world in the stressful adventure the protagonists go on. Boyd Holbrook plays an almost forgettable villain who sometimes feels like he’s there just to look cool; The only sense of tension that is ever caused by his presence is when the heroes seem to be in a bad way, but it’s never because of Holbrook directly.

Aside from being an immensely emotional movie, “Logan” is also very violent and not for the faint of heart. The future that the film presents to us is one that lacks hope, and the brutality and gore present in the film reflects that. “Logan” isn’t your average superhero movie that was pumped out by a studio just to make some money— it’s both a swan song and a love-letter for the character.
Rating:5/5