Club Rush

Amy Oh, Features Editor

Amy Oh
Kiwins Club shows club spirit by chanting to their cheers. 

Uni students rushed into the new school year in search of clubs to join on Friday, Sept. 15. Club Rush is held in the grove every year in order for student organizations to gather and recruit prospective members by showcasing their purpose and goals. From the Gay Straight Alliance club to the Film Production club, Uni offers a diverse range of 32 new and renewed clubs that can make anyone feel at home.

Senior Claire Hafteck’s new Dance and Culture club hopes to bring together a community of dancers at Uni through the exploration of different dance styles and cultures, including jazz, Afro, and contemporary. The goal is to choreograph a routine that can be performed at Uni and other outside events. During Club Rush, freestyle dance performances from senior Elijah Caballero helped attract new members to the club’s booth.

“We are a new club, so [Club Rush] got the word out,” Hafteck said.

Mental Health club came to Club Rush prepared with sign-up sheets and posters ready at hand. Its members aim to break the pre-existing stigma surrounding mental health issues and create a sense of unity by spreading awareness throughout the school and community.

“I think Club Rush turned out really well, and it was great to see new faces, especially the freshmen who may have not been aware of the clubs on campus,” vice president and junior Olganydia Plata said.

Plata was happy to have everything run smoothly.

“I had the members walk around the grove with flyers,” Plata added. “We had posters, ribbons and Jolly Ranchers, which allowed us to heavily promote our club.”

Before the actual event, Leadership held multiple lunch meetings, in order to clarify inquiries and concerns clubs may have had. Student body secretary Alexa Pascual, senior, found this year’s club participation much larger than last year’s, which made everyone’s hard work pay off.

“It isn’t often when we have a majority of the student body come together,” Pascual said. “It was a nice way to kick off the new school year!”

Club officers buzzed around the grove with bags of chips, cookies, or popcorn to attract new members. Some clubs even offered the opportunity to win some prizes in exchange for signing up. Students were impressed to discover that there is always something new at Uni.

“I never realized how many clubs were at Uni for the past 3 years I spent on this campus,” senior Chris Park said. “It was cool for me to finally get involved during my last year in high school.”

Paola Laris
No Limits club

Paola Laris
Senior Elijah Caballero is showing off his freestyle dance moves in front of the new Dance and Culture club.

Amy Oh
Members of the Chess club are heavily concentrated on their game. 

Amy Oh
Gay Straight Alliance club shows pride by waving a flag in the air. 

Amy Oh
Theatre club promotes their club with great enthusiasm.