Football latest attempt to improve on their record

Ammy Alvarado, Sports Editor

Keyond Brown
In a 27-10 victory over Manual Arts on Aug. 25, senior running back William Dorsey makes his very first touchdown of the season. What I like about him is that he’s very physical,” said senior Kareem Miles. “He’ll punish anyone coming to tackle him.”

When the Uni football team made their first touchdown of the season, the crowd erupted into a roar. On Aug. 25, University High’s football team won 27-10 against Manual Arts High School in a non-conference game. Junior Chris Fierro and senior Bezalel Abera, combined for three interceptions, senior Kareem Miles scored two touchdowns, Abera and senior William Dorsey each scored a touchdown. Senior Bradley Gamez made three field goals.After suffering a dismal losing streak in the 2016 season with a 2-9 overall and 0-5 league record, the football team wants to show everyone that this year they can have a successful season. As of Sept. 21, their current record was 2-3 .

Varsity head coach John Washington described his team as “dedicated” because the majority of the team has been working tirelessly since the end of last season.“They are definitely fast. Most of them ran track, and gotten faster, and became more athletic,” Washington said.“While the team as a whole has improved, the standout players are the captains,“Miles, Dorsey, and Abera.”

Miles, who plays wide receiver, has scored three touchdowns so far this season. Miles said that the tougher schools could be Palisades and Venice because, “I know a couple friends with scholarships that go to Venice and Pali”. Despite the many losses last season, Miles and his teammates plan to trust the process and believe in themselves. On Aug.31, the Wildcats went against Contreras.“We were doing so good throughout the game, but 4th quarter came and we as a team didn’t do our job,” said junior quarterback Alex Atmadjian. The Wildcats went into overtime but came up short with the score of 20-13. Their weaknesses became even more apparent when they played San Fernando High School on Sept. 8 and lost 35-3.

Senior Gerson Orellana said that they were confident they were going to come up on top but it was the little mistakes that lost them the game. For example,the offensive line was not blocking most of the game. “When we don’t block, our quarterback has no time and the play is messed up,” Orellana said. Furthermore, with each little mistake, Wildcat football players got more frustrated with themselves and with each other. On top of that, the Wildcats lost their quarterback during the 2nd quarter due to an ankle injury.“But again that’s not an excuse we can use for losing,” Atmadjian said.“We simply as a team didn’t execute our job well and as a result we lost.”

The most challenging opponent the Wildcats faced so far was Culver City High School on Sept. 22.The Wildcats ended with a terrible loss of 59-0. The football team couldn’t complete a play and they kept leaving their opponent open, resulting in the inevitable loss. But the players aren’t discouraged. Orellana, who plays center, elaborates on his goals. “My biggest goal for my team is to win a city championship.We are going to work harder and harder every single week to accomplish our goal as a team and as a family.”

The next home game will be on Oct. 6 at 4pm (JV) and 7pm (VAR), where Uni will face off Fairfax High School (record of 2-2). Come support the Wildcats!