Volleyball gets served

Sam Glover, Staff Writer

The girls volleyball team won it all last year, and they anticipate doing it again. The team had a record of 22-8 overall last season, winning the DIII championship and advancing to the second round in the state playoffs. This year they progressed into the harder DII league, but want to repeat their success.

The team has added extra pressure on themselves to repeat their achievement. “We have a lot of pressure on us,” senior Naomi Lumanauw said. “Since we moved up a division we have higher expectations to fulfil”. As of Sept. 20, Uni’s record stands at 8-10 overall and 2-3 league. Uni started the season slower start than the team wanted, losing to both Palisades and Venice. The team lost a few key seniors, which made it difficult to communicate and execute key plays. In practice, they work on that communication, improving their defense, and bringing up their intensity.

The new generation of players is promising, with the additions of sophomore setter Tania Torres, recently promoted from JV, and freshmen Natalie Fernandez. ”It’s really exciting to play on varsity with such experienced players. They’ve been really welcoming,” Fernandez said. Whether it is moving up a division, the loss of the seniors, or a lack of cohesiveness within the group, the team appears to be falling short of their goals this season.

They have great wins on their resume, 2-0 against Wildwood, 2-0 against Banning, 3-1 against Arleta, but also have some disappointing losses 3-1 against Venice, 3-0 against Palisades, 2-0 against St Monica’s. However, the team found a rhythm in a recent game against Hamilton, beating them 3-0 in dominant fashion. Good organization, and discipline forced Hamilton into numerous mistakes.

Senior middle hitter Brionne Lightsey made a few exceptional kills with the help of their new setter, Torres. “It was a great game, a good team win. We were able to be focused and make few errors,” said senior opposite hitter Bebi Kusuma.

Since winning against Hamilton, the team has won five out of its last six games and seem to be on a roll. If they can keep this play up, competing in the playoffs is a distinct possibility.

The girls volleyball team plays their next game on Oct. 2 at Westchester at 4 pm.