Behind the scenes: AMC Theaters

AMC Century City is a great place to work for students.
The hours are flexible, the employee discounts are great,
and free movies are always a plus. Courtesy of Cinema
Treasures

AMC Century City is a great place to work for students. The hours are flexible, the employee discounts are great, and free movies are always a plus. Courtesy of Cinema Treasures

Jasmine Mentzer, Entertainment Editor

Every summer, students struggle to get a job in order to contribute towards college or just to have extra money. The age old struggle is finding a job that requires little to no experience and is student-friendly. However, one employer prides itself on its flexible scheduling and offers an environment meant for learning and growth. AMC, or American Multi-Cinema, is a movie theater known for its quality customer service. The nearest theater is housed in the newly remodeled Westfield Century City Mall on Santa Monica and Century Park West.

I started working at the theater in June of 2017 and was immediately drawn to the friendly atmosphere (the free movies were a pretty big selling point as well). Applying for a job is a pretty stressful process that calls for great people skills and a lot of waiting. I had a total of three interviews, each one more nerve-racking than the last. During my final interview, I was offered the job. I was absolutely overjoyed and thankful that I was able to find one so quickly. That is not to say that the job doesn’t come with its own set of difficulties.

Whenever you work in the customer service field, customers are relentlessly rude and coworkers single out newbies by telling them information that doesn’t compIy with the actual rules. One time, I was giving a customer their popcorn and she ate one piece and started yelling at me about how I “had one job” and couldn’t figure out why I “couldn’t get it right.” I’m generally pretty good about taking rudeness in stride, so I didn’t let it get to me too much; but after a while, I could see how it would wear on a person. However, the important thing is that at the end of the day, the customer is happy and you get that lovely check in the mail. It’s not all bad though. I’ve made some great friends. It’s really helpful to have someone who understands your struggles on a hard day.

To this day, I am still so happy with my decision to apply for a job at AMC. Although I did quit when school started due to my amount of commitments, I plan on going back on a seasonal basis. It is was really important for me to be able to establish myself in the workplace before I go off to college so I can learn to collaborate in a professional environment. Additionally, I’ve made some great friends and had some amazing experiences, including getting to meet actors like Evan Peters and Halle Berry. I was absolutely starstruck and made a fool of myself but it was a really cool experience. Also, the ability to be financially independent is really empowering. All of the trials and tribulations of the work week seem to fade away when you get to cover dinner for your family or get a friend something nice for their birthday. Even if it’s just over the summer, working will give you a whole new outlook on life. Not to mention earning your own money gives you a sense of pride and your parents will love not having to give you money!