Grand opening of a new ice cream shop

Paola Laris, Photo Editor

There is a new ice cream shop in town called Helados La Michoacana. It can satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth and is a great addition to the multitude of eateries that are available to Uni students.

Helados La Michoacana is a quaint shop within the outskirts of Uni, located on Santa Monica Blvd. between Niky’s Sport and the Jiffy Lube.

If you like fresh fruit, all natural paletas, and ice cream, Helados La Michoacana is the perfect place for you. Helados La Michoacana is a Mexican ice cream shop that serves everything from paletas to frutas locos, which is your choice of fruit–pineapple, watermelon, and cucumber– mixed with chamoy, chile powder and little pieces of tamarind candy. The frutas locas vary from $8 to $15. Even though this may sound expensive, Helados la Michoacana uses only fresh and natural ingredients in all their food and treats. The cheapest frutas loca is the cucumber loca and the most expensive one is the watermelon loca. This is due to the different prices for the fruits.

The new shop had its grand opening on Oct. 15. The celebration drew a crowd of approximately 30 people, featuring mariachi and free samples. People enjoyed a variety of aguas frescas, mexican corn, and samples of their ice cream. One of the items sold there is their fresas congelada. It is a mixture of chopped frozen strawberries topped with whipped cream and a cherry on top in a little milk carton. The concoction is sweet, refreshing, and the perfect size for a after school snack. It is a treat you would not want to miss. There is also a variety of helados, ice cream, to choose from. You can get from mango to nuez (nut) ice.

Students have already gone and checked out the new shop. Senior Alexa Pascual loves the “friendly atmosphere and staff,” as well as the food it serves. On social media as well students have began to rave about this amazing new ice cream shop. The shop has also employed a Uni student as a staff member.

Helados La Michoacana also has a partnership with LAUSD and Uni, so be sure to keep an eye out for student discounts the next time you go!

Helados La Michoacana’s ice creams and frozen strawberry treat is the perfect way to cool down in this LA heat.