Taking a knee for justice

Omar Middleton, Staff writer

The Uni Football team takes inspiration from the NFL and looks to take a knee against injustice.

Colin Kaepernick’s kneel against social inequality last season sparked a movement amongst NFL teams shedding light on current social conflicts in the United States.   The Uni Football Team has taken inspiration from these acts of protest and has also taken a knee during the National Anthem at every game this season. Captain and star wide receiver Kareem Miles explained what lead him to encourage his team to protest. “I decided to knee because I feel in this country everyone is not treated equally, and people are discriminated against because of their skin color,” Miles said. Since the start of the 2014 NFL season, the NFL is 68% African American, and therefore African Americans make up a large representation of the league. It is only right that a league wide expression of unity is shown, as it supports and protects those in the NFL.

Not everyone supports these acts of protest, however.

On Sept 23., President Donald Trump tweeted, “If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,   or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”. Many athletes not only in the NFL, but in the NBA as well, were deeply disturbed by what President Trump tweeted. Almost immediately after President Trump’s tweet, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman tweeted on the matter, “the behavior of the President is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. If you  do not condemn this divisive rhetoric you are condoning it!” The day after, on September 24th, 2017 against the Tennessee Titans, the Seattle Seahawks collectively stayed in the locker room during the National Anthem. Not to stir trouble. Not to display disrespect. But to bring awareness to the injustice that African Americans face daily. This is the same motive of our football team at Uni, to bring awareness of the fact that there is a deeper and more layered issue in America. That we’ve been quiet for too long in the midst of our oppression, and that it’s time that something is done.

“I know kneeling isn’t going to end racism or discrimination, but I’m hoping it’ll raise awareness to everyone”, said Miles. The goal is not to act in anger, but rather to act in awareness, and provide a learning curve to those whose ignorance has blinded them from social injustice.