Places to chill out over the Winter Break

Donna Hakimbaba, Staff Writer

Winter break is one of the most anticipated times in a student’s life: the holidays roll around, families come together, and we get to spend three weeks away from school. Most importantly, it’s the perfect time to plan a trip with your friends. Here are some great places in LA to go during the holiday season.

Six Flags’ Holiday in the Park will be taking place from Nov. 18 to Jan. 1. This theme park is known for its many thrill rides, such as Apocalypse, Dive Devil, and Goliath. One of their Christmas themed rides is Santa’s Wild Sleigh Ride, a virtual reality ride in which you chase an elf who tries to stop Santa from delivering toys on Christmas Eve. This ride combines the epicness of VR with the holiday joy that lives inside of us. Other attractions include Christmas inspired funnel cakes, s’mores fire pits, and tree lighting. Tickets start at $46.99.

Ice skating is a classic winter activity, and there are many rinks in Los Angeles. From Dec. 13 to Jan. 7 (excluding Dec. 31), the Queen Mary will be transformed into an ice rink for an event called CHILL, which celebrates the traditions of Christmas from six different regions. Aside from ice skating, they offer ice bumper cars, tricycles, and shuffleboard. The inside of the ship contains a 100-foot ice slide for and a 300-foot-long zipline. Regular tickets are $30 and are $20 for ages 4 to 11.

Cirque du Soleil’s LUZIA is a production inspired by Mexican culture. The name is a combination of the Spanish words for light (luz) and rain (lluvia). Trapeze and Cyr Wheel artists fly through 6,000 liters of water and interact with mythical creatures. LUZIA also enhances the Chinese art of hoop diving by adding giant treadmills to increase the height of the acrobats’ leaps. The show will take place from Dec. 8 to Jan. 21 at the Dodger Stadium. It lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes with a 25-minute intermission. Tickets start at $50.00.

Luzia is a set in a imaginary Mexico which takes inspiration from the country’s traditional and modern-day culture.

Photo Courtesy of Six Flags
Six Flag’s theme ride, Santa’s Wild Sleigh Ride, uses the power of the Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus.