Boys basketball team makes history

Diasone+Hughes%2C+%233+attempting+to+break+Immanuel%E2%80%99s+defense+on+March+7%2C+resulting+in+a+win+of+86-60.+Allowing+the+Wildcats+to+advance+to+the+next+round+of+state+playoffs.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys basketball team makes history

Diasone Hughes, #3 attempting to break Immanuel’s defense on March 7, resulting in a win of 86-60. Allowing the Wildcats to advance to the next round of state playoffs.

Ammy Alvarado

Ammy Alvarado

Ammy Alvarado

Omar Middleton, Staff Writer

On March 2nd the hard work and dedication that was put into the boy’s basketball team’s spectacular 25-4 record finally paid off, and earned the team a trip to the CIF Los Angeles City Section Division I Championship game, at Cal State Dominguez Hills. The 4th-seeded Wildcats faced off against the 3rd-seeded George Washington Prep Generals, and the energy was high for senior guard/captain Daisone Hughes.

“Me and my teammates grinded all season to [get to] this position”, Hughes said.

Both the Wildcats and the Generals entered the game with a strong, determined mindset hungry and ready to sacrifice everything.

The Wildcats got off to  a good lead, sparked by great defensive plays from senior center Kingsley Onwudiwe, and senior forward Kareem Miles. Offensively, senior guard/captain Daiso ne Hughes, who finished with 13 points, bullied his way to the rim and hit tough contested shots over General defenders. Senior forward Richard Wilson, and sophomore forward David Cheatom Jr. finished with 16 points and 13 points respectively, and provided tough finishes at the rim, keeping the Wildcats in the game. At halftime the Wildcats led the Generals 34-24.

In the second half the Generals aggressively stormed back,producing multiple defensive stops and baskets in the paint at will. By the last few minutes of the fourth quarter, the Wildcats ten-point halftime lead shrunk to an uncomfortable 57-59 deficit. With under a minute left on the clock, Hughes pulled up for a three, and was fouled. Hughes made one out of three free throws, making the score 58-59.

The Generals ran the ball down and drew a foul and also only made one shot in the final seconds of the game, bringing the score to 58-60. With 14.2 seconds left on the clock, the Hughes ran the ball down the court, and took an off-balanced but open floater over a General defender. The shot fell short, resulting in a 58-60 loss for the Wildcats. General fans, students and players went wild.

The impact of the loss on the Wildcats side could be seen in players, faculty members, and students as they all hung their heads, trying to process the heartbreaking end to what was a remarkable season for boys’ basketball.

The Wildcats would move on to trounce their first opponent 86-60, in the first round of the CIF Division 3 State Playoffs against Immanuel (Reedley, CA). However, the Wildcats lost yet again to Bishop Amat (La Puente, CA) 66-59.

This years boys’ basketball season had many highs, but unfortunately could not ride that high all the way through season. However, the boys gave Uni students and  faculty members a strong sense of Wildcat pride, making  this basketball season one to remember, and all of us proud to be a Wildcat.